[conspire] Reminder on voting deadline (TODAY); presidential primary election notes

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 24 00:15:19 PDT 2016

> Yeah, I already had the correct info on this as a pollworker in the
> election, so I had to hunt down the source of the inaccuracy. C'est la
> vie.

Revising now.

> Your page also says that in your county, no-party-preference voters may
> vote for the Democratic party central committee. That's illegal after a
> 7-2 USSC decision with Scalia writing for the majority, Kennedy writing
> a concurring opinion, and Stevens dissenting, joined by Ginsburg.

Huh.  Didn't know that.  The SoS pages, ISTR, were unclear on that, and
I just assumed that both party-

I knew that there'd been some court decision (on a case brought by the
California Democratic Party) that threw out an _earlier_ attempt by
California to have 'open primaries', and that the current provision for
'semi-closed' primaries was some sort of attempt to work within the
confines of that decision.  Maybe that was the one you allude to.