[conspire] (forw) Re: Event 7/9

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 8 22:51:53 PDT 2016

Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 22:51:42 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: Vincent C <vchow_58 at yahoo.com>
Cc: "installers at linuxmafia.com" <installers at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: Event 7/9

Quoting Vincent C (vchow_58 at yahoo.com):

> Hello Rick,
> I will be attending the installer fest on Saturday 7/9.  If possible I would like to install the latest version of Ubuntu and CentOS.
> Thanks. With kind regards,  Vincent

OK, I'm fetching CentOS 6.8 x86_64 and Ubuntu Linux Desktop 16.04 LTS
x86_64, the latest releases of each.

Although, um....

When I say on on Wednesday evening that you should advise CABAL about
any distros (Linux distributions) you expect to need in advance of a
CABAL meeting, so we have time to fetch them, that doesn't actually mean
wait until the _night before_ the CABAL meeting.  I was expecting
Thursday, really.  Asking on _Friday_ leaves me little time.

That's a significant amount of downloading -- about 5GB total.  I'll
_try_ to have what you want.

To review:  You aim (you said on Wednesday) to install onto either one
external USB hard drive (both distros installed into their own
partitions on it) or each distro onto its own external USB hard drive.
_Therefore_:

1.  Make sure you bring one or more external USB hard drive of adequate
size.  This/these will be our installation target.  The Linux distro(s)
will run from there.

2.  It would be recommended to also bring two USB flash drives ('thumb
drives'), recommended minimum size 4GB each.  These will hold the
distros' installation disk images.  We will install the distro by
booting the distro installer program on the USB flash drive, and telling
the installer to put the distro on the target external USB hard drive.

You would then keep the thumb drives with the distro installers on them,
in case you ever need to install again for any reason.  It is highly
recommended to ensure that you have the ability to reinstall any OS you
intend to rely on.

3.  Since you're asking at the very last minute, you might want to
just download the installer files yourself, and bring them.  (On your
laptop is fine.)  That way, we're guaranteed to have them.

Fetch these:
http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/centos/6.8/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.8-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso  (3.6GB)
http://mirror.pnl.gov/releases/releases/xenial/ubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso  (1.4GB)

See you tomorrow.