[conspire] bank doesn't like Iceweasel

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Aug 31 13:41:49 PDT 2016

Rick Moen:
> Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
> > NoScript     I have been using this for several years, following
> > discussion at CABAL.  :-)  Lately it has sometimes been cumbersome
> > as web-sites use multiple cloud servers to hold desired content.
>
> NoScript's always been a bit cumberson in that way for particular
> sites.  Don't forget that NoScript has a variety of overrides for your
> convenience, like the one that equates to 'Ah, screw it.  I lack time
> to figure out which particular Javascript snippets this particular
> site _actually_ needs, so just run them all for this site.'

In particular, it has toolbar buttons you can add for "temporarily allow
all for this site" and "revoke ALL temporary permissions currently
granted".  I find these the primary way I interact with noscript: I hit
a page, try to use it as best I can, give up, allow it temporarily, and
then maybe a few browses later I'll just hit the "reset" button and I'm
back to where I started.  Before I added the buttons to the GUI, it was
far too awkward to negotiate via the menus!

I would add to this list of recommendations the self-destructing cookies
extension.  It makes cookies and stored data last, by default, the life
of the browser *tab*.  You can also on a per-site basis change the
policy to the life of the browser session or permanent storage.  I enjoy
this because it means I get cookie continuity from click to click, but I
don't worry that this stuff will follow me past closing the tab.

Of course I'm still partly vulnerable to chains of cookies following me
from site to site, but even if that does happen it gets dropped on the
floor at the end of the browser session.

It also has a handy "undelete" option for when you realise you forgot to
allow cookies for that site you genuinely wanted to log in to!