[conspire] (forw) Re: Question regarding the install of linux distribution with an Optimus GeForce graphic card

Leo P yaconsult at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 16:29:33 PDT 2016

Hi Rick,

Sounds delicious!  I will be there.

Fedora 24 is the current release and has been out since June and is what I
have on my Lenovo laptop.  But I have never played with linux on Optimus
hardware.

This is the best writeup I have found on the various options for Optimus
support on linux as of last October:
http://www.thelinuxrain.com/articles/the-state-of-nvidia-optimus-on-linux

My question is whether his laptop came with a Windows installation that he
wants to preserve?  Mine came with Windows 10 and also has some partitions
reserved for recovery purposes as no one provides windows installation
disks any more.  I shrank my windows partition and made mine dual-boot with
fedora while preserving all the recovery stuff.  A gparted usb key worked
well for shrinking the windows partition to make room for fedora.