[conspire] (forw) Re: Question regarding the install of linux distribution with an Optimus GeForce graphic card

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 11 15:11:17 PDT 2016

Quoting Leo P (yaconsult at gmail.com):

> The Bumblebee project appears to provide good support for Optimus under
> fedora: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bumblebee with various options
> available from the Bumblebee repository.

Yeah, hold that thought.  He did have a go at that, and reports:

  After posting on fedora forums, it appeared that the fedora solution
  to handle the dual graphic card approach of Optimus is to install
  Bumbleebee:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bumblebee

  I also tried to enable the intel graphic of the Optimus in order to work
  as usual with a simple Nvidia card, but my BIOS does not offer this
  possibility.

I'll send his full e-mail to the mailing list soon.  (Nicholas is not on
this mailing list, I believe.)

> While not Optimus, on my primary desktop, I use the binary nvidia drivers
> repackaged by rpmfusion and they have always been rock solid and the latest
> version.  The packaging done by rpmfusion ensures that everything is kept
> in sync as opposed to downloading and installing the driver directly from
> nvidia and using an install shell script.  Bumblebee appears to provide the
> same convenience for Optimus.

That's covered in another part of his mail:

  I tried to install the driver from NvIdia website but this did not
  work at all.  I also tried to install the depot RPM as explained below:

  http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/251629/how-to-install-nvidia-proprietary-drivers-on-fedora-23

That's the rpmfusion.org approach.

> If you want to bring your own fedora image on usb key or dvd, you can
> either get the generic desktop at:
> https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/
> or a specific desktop spin, if you have a preference, at
> https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

He says he's burned Fedora 23 to a DVD and will bring it.  (It sounds
like he's burned a number of other distros, and isn't picky about which
he uses.)

Looking forward to seeing you, Leo.  I have ribs marinating in a nice
chile pepper, lime, and ginger sauce (and Ross is bringing a different
variety, sous-vided).