[conspire] (forw) Re: Question regarding the install of linux distribution with an Optimus GeForce graphic card

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Aug 13 00:13:51 PDT 2016

On Thu, 2016-08-11 at 16:29 -0700, Leo P wrote:
> This is the best writeup I have found on the various options for
> Optimus support on linux as of last October:
> http://www.thelinuxrain.com/articles/the-state-of-nvidia-optimus-on-linux

A few days ago I set up Optimus on my new old laptop mentioned on the
SF-LUG list, which I had originally planned to bring tomorrow. The above
article barely scratches the surface of what I've had to learn just to
get MPlayer working optimally, and the Bumblebee infrastructure has
severe limitations. On Ubuntu 14.04, I've had edit multiple
configuration files based on previous experience, install some pretty
non-obvious packages, write a couple of scripts, and read an
indispensable write-up on the subject which simply doesn't exist in
English, just to get basic command-line-only functionality. When you
show up tomorrow, assuming I'm not there to demonstrate all this, please
tell the person to just disable Optimus in the BIOS. Then things will
"just work."