[conspire] MIT Classes

Ruben ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu May 14 11:56:22 PDT 2015

On 05/14/2015 12:05 PM, Scott DuBois wrote:
>  From the education sector, the word is that fewer students are signing up for
> traditional education and instead turning to MOOCs for instruction on specific
> topics of interest. It seems that institutions adopting the on line education
> model are faring better than those that aren't.

that, in itself is a big problem and different then what I was thinking
of.  The oneline education is killing the education process and student
students come out without the necessary socialization process.  It is no
better than Radar Orielly's  correspondence HS diploma.  LIU has a
"blended" formula though  blackboard.  It just means we learn less.  In
fact, the entire Blackboard experience sucks, and the application suck,
but schools are picking it up let and right as an instant cloud based
make your school an online business widget.

The case of the MIT stuff is actually very different. Aside from there
being no blackboard, they are not selling access and they put up
virtually their entire program.  Its not really an attempt at online
education.  It is more of an attempt of documenting their whole
education experience and making it available.  They are using videos of
their actually lectures, not productions, such as say Corsera or what
blackboard has.   I makes you feel like you are sitting in the
classroom.  But even still this is no substitute of classroom education.

OTOH, they have a number of segments that are not being offered at LIU
include Linear algebra, so I'm going to take them over this summer if
anyone wants to join me.

Additionally, there is this:

http://eudyptula-challenge.org/