[conspire] MIT Classes

Ruben ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu May 14 12:22:17 PDT 2015

Sorry, I'm reediting.  I'm righting on my laptop while laying down and it is harder to write correctly like this.  The touchpad drives me crazy.

I hope this is more legible.

>/   From the education sector, the word is that fewer students are signing up for
/>/  traditional education and instead turning to MOOCs for instruction on specific
/>/  topics of interest. It seems that institutions adopting the on line education
/>/  model are faring better than those that aren't.
/

That, in of itself is a big problem and different topic then what I was thinking
of when posted the question.

Oneline education is killing the education process and students
are coming out of these programs without going through the necessary socialization
process which is essential for education.  There is a reason it is called
a college.  The give and take, and colleagal development is necessary for
education and development.

It is no better than Radar Orielly's  correspondence HS diploma.

In its implementation, there are further issues aside from its reason for being.

LIU has a  "blended" formula through blackboard.  It is inferior to what I was
doing on line 2 decades ago with plain HTML and irc.  It just means we learn
less.  In fact, the entire Blackboard experience sucks, and the application sucks,
but schools are picking it up let and right as an instant cloud based
"make your school an online business" widget.

In the case of the MIT, their stuff is actually very different. Aside from there
being no blackboard, they are not selling access and they put up
virtually their entire program on line.  Its not really an attempt at online
education.  It is more of an attempt of documenting their whole
education experience and making it available.  They are using videos of
their actually lectures, not productions, such as say Corsera or what
blackboard has.   It makes you feel like you are sitting in the
classroom.

But even still this is no substitute of classroom education.

OTOH, they have a number of segments that are not being offered at LIU
include Linear algebra, so I'm going to take them over this summer if
anyone wants to join me.

Additionally, there is this:

http://eudyptula-challenge.org/