[conspire] Alternate addresses

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 23 16:56:05 PST 2015

I just rejected a subscriber's held posting sent from a non-subscribed
(alternate) posting address, with the following reject message:

---<snip>---
Your posting didn't go through because you sent it from a non-subscribed
posting address.  It is therefore being returned to you.

You may wish to re-send it from your subscribed address.

Additionally, please consider subscribing your various alternate
addresses and setting the 'nomail' option for them, so that thereafter
you may post from any of them.
---<snip>---

This happens quite a bit.  Someone subscribes with one address but then
tries to post with a different one.  I try to always send back helpful
suggestions when triggering the reject.  (Most listadmin don't bother,
and just let held postings get discarded.)  Ironically, about the only
time I see such people re-post is when they really shouldn't because
they've already, separately re-posted from the subscribed address and
are now posting the same thing a second time.

I also notice very few people follow my advice to subscribe their
alternate addresses.  (Scott DuBois is about the only such person I can
name.)  That's a shame, because it would save quite a bit of hassle for
both senders and listadmins.