[conspire] Another motherboard was _not_ burned out today

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 23 12:40:08 PST 2015

Quoting Scott DuBois (rhcom.linux at gmail.com):

> Second to spending money on as much RAM as a mobo is capable of holding, a good
> quality PSU is important (I think) others may disagree.
>
> Fans? Good ones, but I haven't shopped for fans in a while. This case I have now
> came with 4 which is really overkill for my usage.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Nine-Hundred-Black-Computer/dp/B000I5JHB0
>
> I'm considering ditching it for something quieter as just the air movement is
> too noisy but it was "cool" when I bought it; now I think it's stupid as all
> those fans suck in a lot of crap into the case.

That's a whole lot of high-capacity can fans.  If the motherboard and
other heat-producing devices don't need that much cooling, you could try
disconnecting one or both of the front case fans.

Also, one trick for reducing the amount of dirt suckage considerably is
to get the case off the floor onto a pedestal of some kind.

The nice thing about 200 mm (8 inch) fans is that they _can_ be pretty
quiet, especially if you favour the fan models designed for low noise.
With that width, they needn't rotate as fast as tiny fans do.  This is
also why it's difficult to make a 2U or 1U case not screech like a
banshee.

--
Rick Moen                "Never substitute a slash for a solidus.
rick at linuxmafia.com      You don't want to get letters from Victorian bankers."