[conspire] WiFi adapter

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Sat Jan 11 16:24:52 PST 2014

On Jan 7, 2014, at 9:51 PM, Paul Zander wrote:

> At the November Cabal, Ross & I both had Raspberry PI's.  I brought a system based on the Motorola Lapdock which has a lithium battery that can power the Pi for several hours, but I needed to have a LAN cable.  Ross had a different system that included WiFi adapter.
>
> Elsewhere, I have been told that using a WiFi with Raspberry Pi requires using a powered USB hub.
>
> Can anyone offer information on WiFi adapters that won't require a USB hub and power cords.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul et al,
I hope you get good answers to your WiFi question.
I think, though, that you are better off asking the question in a Raspberry PI oriented forum.
For example, I searched using this string...

"Raspberry PI WiFi adapters that won't require a USB hub and power cord"
and found this information...
"You're going to need a USB hub of some kind for your 3 USB devices, and given that 90%+ of all problems relating to Raspberry Pi stability turn out to be power supply related, I'd say just invest in the powered USB hub and have done with it."

on this page...
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=64323

Then I thought to look for WiFi adapters known or believed to work with Raspberry PI so I searched using this string...
"Raspberry PI WiFi adapters"

... and found this page showing quite a list of WiFi adapters.
http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

Part of what is happening, I think, is that generalized computer discussion groups are forking into more specialized groups and discussions. While the groups used to meet physically in the same time and place, groups are increasingly virtual and capable of "meeting" at any time or place through the Internet. (Different time, different place distance learning methods are very powerful.) Raspberry Pi is an example of such an interest group but there are thousands of others such as Debian or one on using NVIDIA with Linux.

“The history of learning amounts to a history of specialization.”
― Beryl Smalley, "Historians In The Middle Ages"

I hope you bring your Raspberry Pi to the next CABAL so I and others can check it out.

--
Mark Weisler