[conspire] Moving to the area

Mike Higashi mhigashi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 20:26:15 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> 2.  Golden Gate Park, San Francisco.  The eastern half of this 5km-long
> municipal park is packed with attractions, some indoor (Asian Art
> Museum, California Academy of Sciences, Conservatory of Flowers) and
> most outdoor.

If you have an interest in nature, I particularly recommend the California
Academy of Sciences, which was rebuilt a few years ago.  It now houses
a three-story tall indoor tropical rain forest, as well as continuing to be
home for a colony of penguins.  The penguin feeding is fun to watch.
http://www.calacademy.org/

There is also the De Young Museum, which is across a plaza from the
Academy of Science.  They have several special exhibits, but the most
interesting is probably the Girl with a Pearl Earring: Dutch Paintings
>From the Mauritshuis.     http://deyoung.famsf.org/

Rick also mentioned that the Asian Art Museum was in Golden Gate Park.
After Rick moved out of SF the museum moved to a new location, in the
Civic Center area. Their current major exhibit is the Terracotta Warriors
from China.  http://www.asianart.org/

Mike