[conspire] Moving to the area

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 15 20:14:24 PDT 2013

I wrote:

> I will eventually remember the exactly location of my favourite outdoor
> natural swimming pool on the Big Sur River, inside one of the state
> parks right off CA Route 1.

Some would call it as 'swimming hole'.

Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g240329-d116839-Reviews-Pfeiffer_Big_Sur_State_Park-Big_Sur_California.html
http://www.swimmingholes.org/ca.html#BIG%20SUR%20AREA

_Not_ to be confused with Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park further south
along CA Route 1 -- nor with Pfeiffer Big Sur State Beach, nor Point Sur
Historic Park.

There _might_ be mosquitos (depending on time of year and recent
temperatures), so bring Deet.

Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park is also where the 32 km, strenuous Pine
Ridge Trail is that ventures inland to Sykes Hot Springs, a natural hot
springs on public lands fed by underground volcanic activity, popular
for soaking one's self.  Visiting Sykes as a day hike is quite possible
if you start first thing in the morning, otherwise you will be camping.
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/pine-ridge-trail-to-sykes-hot-springs

By contrast, the swimming hole / pool I speak of is right near the
park's parking lots, and no trouble at all to reach even for the
severely non-athletic.