[conspire] Moving to the area

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 15 19:13:47 PDT 2013

Quoting Mark Weisler (mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us):

> Thanks for your excellent suggestions about places to visit.
> I'm going to be reusing your suggestions with my own family and visitors.
> With this being home for six decades this year, and having visited almost
> every one of the places you cite, and living within short walking distance
> of a couple of them, I can attest that these are some of the most
> interesting places in the Bay Area.

A couple of more personal favourites in the outdoors category:

Pinnacles National Monument, San Benito County (south of Santa Clara
County and inland from Monterey County).  Beautiful eroded volcanic
spires and low mountains, perfect for a strenous hike.  WARNING:
Beware of hot weather in summer.  Spring and late autumn are the perfect
times.  Bring water.

There are two entrances to Pinnacles.  The west one from Salinas Valley
is the more stark and with fewer people (and services).

Point Lobos Nature Reserve.  A pristine peninsula south of Carmel, with
about ten klicks of oceanside hiking and peerless views of flora and
fauna.

I will eventually remember the exactly location of my favourite outdoor
natural swimming pool on the Big Sur River, inside one of the state
parks right off CA Route 1.  One summer when I had baked myself into a
nasty sunburn and headache at Pinnaces, I drove to Big Sur and got
instant relief by lying in this pool for a few hours.