[conspire] Bad hardware categories (wasL: July 13th CABAL meeting cancelled)

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 28 18:07:37 PDT 2013

Rick,

Two things I look for in a printer, true post script and an ethernet port. While the
print engine can be the same as in some of the less expensive models, the problems
with the electronics being cheap and unworkable go away. Also when the next upgrade
to the operating system comes along, it will still work with any OS via postscript unlike printers
that require a "driver" to work with an OS and don't get a new driver when the new OS comes out
since the printer maker wants to sell new printers and doesn't make money supporting the older
printers on the new OS version.

Also a good sign that someone put some effort into the mechanicals is the availability of duplex printing
as a standard feature on the model.

I have an inexpensive Samsung laser printer at home that works well and has the features. At work I had an
old NEC 870 for years that had the driver problem so was limited to an early HP emulation and all the good
features wouldn't work when Adobe print gears went away. I replaced it when it died with a Brother laser printer
since the Samsungs were not available at the time. I know that the cartridge for the Brother will be expensive, but
it is a very quick solid networked postscript printer with duplex printing. And it was relatively inexpensive since it
was an open box unit with some cosmetic damage on the side.

Ross