[conspire] Bad hardware categories (wasL: July 13th CABAL meeting cancelled)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 28 10:53:38 PDT 2013

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):

> They might be saving the LaserJet name for the good stuff, the way
> that Lenovo does with the ThinkPad brand.

Very likely.

I was surprised and a bit cheered to find no sign of a 'home' line of
cut-rate gear, any more, at either IBM or Lenovo.  I could swear that IBM
once had one, but couldn't recall the brand name.  Basically, I remember
there being quite a few more 'home' brands in the industry than just HP
Pavillion and Dell Inspiron (and HP OfficeJet), but the other day I
couldn't find signs of them any more.  (Of course, part of that is
consolidation, e.g., Compaq's Presario line isn't around to plague
people because there's no more Compaq.)

> I look up printers on OpenPrinting, which used to
> be linuxprinting.org and is now part of the Linux
> Foundation.  Example:
>
>   http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-LaserJet_3055

It's a pity that Grant Taylor's 'recommendations' pages from the old
linuxprinting.org site are long gone.  Those were invaluable in their
day.