[conspire] Bad hardware categories (wasL: July 13th CABAL meeting cancelled)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 28 18:25:15 PDT 2013

Quoting Ross Bernheim (rossbernheim at speakeasy.net):

> Rick,
>
> Two things I look for in a printer, true post script and an ethernet port.

I agree.

The real PostScript means, among other things, that the printer will
have a reasonable amount of RAM and CPU power.  The ethernet port means
they're serious about it being a real production printer, makes
certain other cheats (such as winprinter design) effectively not
feasible, and means the printer can be productive without needing to
funnel everything through an attached workstation.

PCL6 is also useful to look for.  Both PCL6 and PostScript suggests a
winner.

> I have an inexpensive Samsung laser printer at home that works well
> and has the features.

If memory serves, Grant Taylor used to recommend some of those on the
old linuxprinting.org site before he turned it over to Linux Foundation.

> I know that the cartridge for the Brother will be expensive, but
> it is a very quick solid networked postscript printer with duplex
> printing.

Cost (and estimated cost per page) of toner cartridges is arguably one
of the other big differentiators among printers.  For a very long time,
HP LaserJets relied on a standard Ricoh print engine and shared the same
toner cartridge design.  The very large market for that standard tended
to draw in competition and keep costs low.