[conspire] running without a DE- ancilliary tools? [was Re: (forw) Re: InstallFest on Apr. 13th]

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Tue Apr 16 14:06:49 PDT 2013

These really weren't personal requests for you do take on huge
research tasks, Rick, but rather wonderings as to whether anyone on
the list had some knowledge at the tip of their tongues to share
toward common goals.  But it's fine if you don't share the goals, and
you're welcome to ignore me, as are all the others to whom my query
does not apply.  And yes, good point, as to package dependencies,
thanks.  Sometimes it takes a reminder to see the obvious.  I'm not
going to dig into ugh NetworkManager but yes wicd and xrandr
(x11-xserver-tools) will help wean me, thanks.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):
>
>> And not a particularly useful answer for those wishing to divorce
>> themselves of Gnome or KDE.
>
> My fondest fraternal regard to them, but I'm pretty busy on Tuesday at
> work and not immediately available for tasks suddenly invented out of
> thin air, so I nominate _you_ to do the research and report back.
>
>> Anyone have any pointers for digging into what the gnome or kde
>> widgets actually do behind the scenes?
>
> This is one promising approach.  When you looked up the package
> dependencies, what did you find, Tony?
>
> Another is just targeted Web-searching.  A five-second effort about
> wireless finds wpa_supplicant aka wpasupplicant, wicd/wicd-client,
> NetworkManager (ugh), and of course good ol' iwconfig.

Best Regards.
This is unedited.