[conspire] running without a DE- ancilliary tools? [was Re: (forw) Re: InstallFest on Apr. 13th]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 16 10:41:29 PDT 2013

Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):

> And not a particularly useful answer for those wishing to divorce
> themselves of Gnome or KDE.

My fondest fraternal regard to them, but I'm pretty busy on Tuesday at
work and not immediately available for tasks suddenly invented out of
thin air, so I nominate _you_ to do the research and report back.

> Anyone have any pointers for digging into what the gnome or kde
> widgets actually do behind the scenes?

This is one promising approach.  When you looked up the package
dependencies, what did you find, Tony?

Another is just targeted Web-searching.  A five-second effort about
wireless finds wpa_supplicant aka wpasupplicant, wicd/wicd-client,
NetworkManager (ugh), and of course good ol' iwconfig.