[conspire] running without a DE- ancilliary tools? [was Re: (forw) Re: InstallFest on Apr. 13th]

Robert Keizer robert at keizer.ca
Tue Apr 16 09:53:01 PDT 2013

On 04/16/2013 11:43 AM, Tony Godshall wrote:

> And not a particularly useful answer for those wishing to divorce
> themselves of Gnome or KDE.
>
> I imagine once I determine what tools I can use to switch monitors
> from commandline I'll use vi myself to make scripts that detect
> location[1] and switch configuration appropriately and then I won't
> use any gui tool at all.  If and when I do, I'll share that info here.
>
> Anyone have any pointers for digging into what the gnome or kde
> widgets actually do behind the scenes?
>
> Tony
>

>   [1]ifconfig 0.0.0.0 up followed by arping works well for wired
> networks and iwlist scan works well for wifi)

I've used scrotwm with some handy monitor detection + switch xorg.conf
scripts that were fairly custom and hacked.

NetworkManager and such works well still, and as such I didn't have to
change the way I did quick networking on my laptop.

I like scrot because the bindings are flexible, and it stays out of the
way most of the time.

All the best,
Rob