[conspire] Recommended laser printer???

Margaret Wendall mwendall at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 18:44:43 PST 2012

Ken, and Rick -

I used a HP 5L for about 10 years until the grip roller wouldn't feed paper
any longer. I doubt the newer printers from any brand are made as well as
these older HP ones, when even the "light duty" models last virtually
forever. I replaced my old LJ with a Model 1020 at Fry's when it was
discontinued about three years ago and I'm still using the original
cartridge.

You should ask how long your current printer will last, and whether the
bells and whistles on the newer models are of more value.

Margaret Wendall

Margaret Wendall

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Ken Bernard (kenbernard at gmail.com):
>
> > Rick, I would like to offer my condolences on the loss of your mother.
>
> Thank you, Ken.
>
> One of the consequences is that I'm now a member of the despised
> landowning classes.  (The 1105 Altschul Ave. house where CABAL meets
> is now fully in my name.)  Thus, I might end up taking even more
> personally any CABAL member or other visitor treating my house with
> disrespect, as it's literally my house in a way it wasn't until now.
>

> > I have run out of toner on my trusty old HP 6p Monochrome LaserJet
> > printer and I am wondering if I should replace it with a new model or
> > buy a new toner cartridge for $112.
>
> Hmm, yes, interesting economic dilemma.  Let's do a little research.
> The standard HP cartridge is HP model C3903A (sometimes called '03A'),
> and is compatible with HP's LaserJet 5P, 5MP, 6P, and 6MP printers,
> which one gathers all use the same Xerox print engine.
>

> http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=HP+C3903A&tbm=shop&cid=13150400857527428468
> provides ten online sources for that HP product.  Two of the ten are
> about $40.  The rest are around $100.  Maybe your best bet and easiest
> solution would be to order two or three units from one of the cheap
> vendors.  That might last you a really long time, as these cartridges
> have a rating of 4000 pages each.  Even though the page ratings are
> usually pretty optimistic, that's still a lot of pages before you have
> to worry about supplies again.
>
> Searching Amazon's 'Computers & Accessories' category for 'HP LaserJet
> 5P, 5MP, 6P, 6MP' brings up what you _really_ want to see, which is both
> vendors of the HP-branded model C3903A cartridge _and_ vendors of
> compatible cartridge and 'remanufactured' units.  Prices for new
> cartridges seem to run $40-90 for new C3903A cartridges, $20-30 for
> remanufactured C3903A cartridges, and $30-40 for off-brand compatible
> cartridges.  Me, I'd be fine with any of those.
>

> > Is there a new laser printer selling for less than $250 that is
> > recommended?
>
> I am going to pass on this excellent question for now, because I need to
> get work done at the moment, and also because I haven't researched this
> topic in quite a while and would be starting from scratch, again.
>
> However, maybe finding good onlines sources for the C3903A and
> compatibles will meet your immediate needs.  There are times, don't
> forget, when an adequate solution is better than an ideal solution
> because it's do-able right now and is less time and trouble.  However,
> adjust your strategy according to what's important to you.
>
> I really regret that Grant Taylor isn't running linuxprinting.org, any
> more.  (He handed it off to Linux Foundation.)  He used to have really
> excellent pages making recommendations for Linux-friendly printers in
> several categories including monochrome lasers, bearing in mind vital
> criteria like how much the toner cartridges cost and how long the
> [...]

Margaret Wendall
mwendall-at-gmail-dot-com
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Juvenal