[conspire] fyi: Understanding the bin, sbin, usr/bin , usr/sbin split

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 2 14:29:30 PST 2012

Quoting Sean (sean.channel at pacbell.net):

> (It's called Parted Magic (http://partedmagic.com/), and however much
> they have in or just nearby their initramfs, it's damn neat!)

I like Parted Magic and keep current versions of it in the CABAL
CD/DVD library.

What I do not do is keep it available on every system 24x7.  Nor do
I always have a PXE recovery image available, or a maintenance initrd.
Every system I maintain has a functional /bin, /sbin, /lib setup -- for
now, in part because those bozos at freedesktop.org have not yet
convinced everyone that 'separate /usr has been broken for many years'.

> There just is no one standard for /bin-/sbin-/usr.. etc., but many both
> useful and obsolete conventions for them.

Is this the logic-splitting part of our comedy?  ;->

I tend to use Debian, which in general terms follows FHS except where
FHS has gone off the rails.  (I have not consulted Debian Policy lately
on such minutiae, so detail freaks are welcome to go crazy on it if they
have nothing better to do.)

As wacky as things sometimes are among distros, the situation is
actually radically better than it was ten or fifteen years ago.

> [egregious flame-bait:]
> People who install custom-built software in /usr/local are just weak. ;)

Making a local package pays off over the long term.  I confess that
I put leafnode in /usr/local, compiling from tarball, some years ago,
because it had no dependencies or further ramification and I just
couldn't be arsed.

/opt ?  Best made to be a symlink to /usr/local/opt, of course.
(And then never used, if possible.)