[conspire] fyi: Understanding the bin, sbin, usr/bin , usr/sbin split

Sean sean.channel at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 2 14:17:55 PST 2012

On 02/02/2012 01:10 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

> Yes, I suppose you can, on Linux (but perhaps not on some other Unixes)
> craft an initramfs image containing everything required for a minimal
> boot system capable of doing repair, maintenance, backup, and restore

(It's called Parted Magic (http://partedmagic.com/), and however much
they have in or just nearby their initramfs, it's damn neat!)

There just is no one standard for /bin-/sbin-/usr.. etc., but many both
useful and obsolete conventions for them.  Some people & distros follow
the same conventions but for different reasons. I think the only real
problem is any *.org trying to claim one standard for all. I certainly
have my opinions that guide what seems to "make sense" (e.g. I don't
like seeing, say, firefox under /bin, or mount under /usr), and tend
to regard /usr as the "applications partition" (even though I almost
never create an actual separate partition for it), as per the traditional
location of sources under /usr/src.

[egregious flame-bait:]
People who install custom-built software in /usr/local are just weak. ;)

_S