[conspire] The practice of making ext4 a default needs to die an excruciating and gruesome death

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Aug 13 16:39:54 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):
>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> And what would you use for file-sharing to
>> your Linux or $OTHER_FAVOURITE_IX boxen?
>
> That depends on context and security model.
>
> In the context of my fully-exposed Internet server, which is where my
> primary computing is:  None of the above.[1]
>
> There are some options for remote filesystem access over ssh, including
> one I remember was in use in latter days at VA Linux Systems on the
> gateway hosts -- predictably slow, but usable.  There may be other
> feasible options, but I've not lately needed to research them.
>

> [1] I like to keep my personal computing within a simple security model
> that includes never trusting the network.

yeah... it's kind of confused right now-

samba for universal access by macs and windoz and idevices and adevices

nfs seems to have been suffering from routine breakages between
distros and versions of distros- maintainers don't seem to care much

glusterfs and tahoe-lafs maybe

sshfs is the only one I really trust but not exactly high-performance

statefulness of connections seem to be the lynchpin in many cases-
expecting the remote and the connection to it be still there
indefinitely leads to failure, so all services in the modern loosely
coupled network that is the internet are based on transient
connections, and that's a good thing, I guess.

still wish I knew what's a good thing to use for a modern NFS replacement.

oh well, if I find it I'll report back.