[conspire] Laptop_Mode_tools in Lubuntu?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 19 18:22:31 PDT 2011

Quoting jose tav (j_tav at yahoo.com):

> I am trying to get more time usage out of my laptop battery. I used to
> get 2.5 hours out of it, but now ... 1.5 hours at best. I installed
> Lubuntu on a 32GB flash drive, (I like Lubuntu), It seems the internal
> HD is always spinning, I would like to have it off while running from
> the USB flash drive.
>
> Last night I installed the free 'granola' it seems to be helping but
> not by much. Then hear about the 'Laptop_Mode_tools' <a
> href="http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/packages/ubuntu"> found here </a>.
> I tried unsuccesfully to find 'ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE= '. I did try grep
> (grep -o ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=) to find it, please tell me what is the
> correct way to run that command. I want to check the setting, if
> Ubuntu Natty even better Lubuntu has it, if so, what the setting is.

I think a good place for you to start is here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PowerManagement/ReducedPower#Using_less_power_with_laptop-mode-tools

It's best to disregard http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/packages/ubuntu .
FWIW, what that page says about adding a line in
/etc/default/acpi-support saying 'ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=true' sounds like
you'd be setting launch options for some Ubuntu package called
'acpi-support', which I would guess then, in turn, writes some positive
integer to /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode .  But notice that it's a really old
Web page.

(My recollection is that putting any integer other than zero into
/proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode enables laptop mode.  Do 'cat
/proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode' to check.)

I'm not familiar with this thing 'granola' you mention, but yes, don't
mix and match.