[conspire] wtf ? sonic

Tim Utschig tim at tetro.net
Sat May 28 11:32:50 PDT 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 06:09:17AM -0700, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> If you compare how other providers have deployed ADSL2+, you'll
> see that there is relatively little to complain about with
> Fusion. I am also anxious to know the results of Rick's inquiry
> with Raw Bandwidth about their ADSL2+ offering.

I'm currently a Raw Bandwidth customer and will be moving soon.
Mike Durkin told me that through AT&T's ordering system he can
only order up to 1.5M/384K at the new address, down from the
3M/512K service we have now.

I enquired about ADSL2+ as an option, after reading on the
Internet that speeds at 11Kft might be 4-6 Mbps.  In Mike's
informative response he mentioned that the guage of the copper in
the US is thinner than some other countries, and that "bridge
taps and other disturbers" can effect the speed as well.

Unfortunately Raw Bandwidth doesn't currently have a presence in
the CO which serves the home my family and I will be moving into,
so ADSL2+ from Raw Bandwidth isn't an option for us.  Others may
have better luck.

Maybe I can harass enough of our new neighbors into switching
from their high-speed lines from the local duopoly (Comcast /
AT&T U-verse) onto slower lines from Raw Bandwidth to offset the
cost of deploying equipment into the local CO... but probably
not.  :-(

--
   - Tim Utschig <tim at tetro.net>