[conspire] wtf ? sonic

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat May 28 06:09:17 PDT 2011

In 2004, I beta-tested ADSL2+ service in general, and Bruce provided the
stress-testing materials. What Tony has been saying reflects my
conclusions, which I reported at CABAL at the time. Other statistics
from the beta tests showed that the full 25Mbps could be achieved only
at 1000 feet from the CO, with sync rates dropping drastically after
that. Sonic.net themselves warn that there will be practically no
download speed advantage at large distances, and if you sound like you
already know what you're doing, they'll assume your primary purpose for
choosing Fusion is the higher upload speed (twice what the same line
would get with regular ADSL) until you say otherwise. If you compare how
other providers have deployed ADSL2+, you'll see that there is
relatively little to complain about with Fusion. I am also anxious to
know the results of Rick's inquiry with Raw Bandwidth about their ADSL2+
offering.