[conspire] Community wired ISP [was Re: ISP]

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Jun 20 13:33:01 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 11:55 -0700, Tony Godshall wrote:
> Hackish is cool.  Can red tape be avoided?  The reason
> I've enjoyed wireless is that one can adapt equipment
> to uses it was not intended for and make links at a
> distance yet still be below the limits at which licenses are
> required.

I meant "hackish" in the sense of improvising with what's available. I
was thinking only of IP connectivity instead of a full CLEC, which now
seems obviously more optimal, with apparently less red tape to boot.
Wireless is great for public library-like community deployment, but it
does not eliminate the value of a utility co-op deployment. Both can
work together, addressing slightly different audiences within the
community.

http://www.ikano.com/model.asp

> Or do you mean "would have been" ;-)

Since we've moved on, it "has been" now.