[conspire] Community wired ISP [was Re: ISP]

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Jun 20 10:58:45 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 10:32 -0700, Tony Godshall wrote:
> I'd like to hear more about this concept.  Are you thinking
> there should be a nonprofit CLEC?  Since I'm not exactly
> sure what a CLEC is, I read:
>
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/CLEC
>
> Hmm... maybe a nonprofit with and a wholly owned
> corporation a la mozilla.org mozilla.com would be needed.

What I previously had in mind was more hackish. The SDF Public Access
UNIX System, as an example, provides ADSL service to members, which it
is able to do by buying last-mile connectivity in bulk from IKANO. Given
what we know about the terms under which AT&T wire is used for ADSL2+,
maybe the way to go really would be a nonprofit CLEC umbrella that
various communities could make use of, given some set of nonprofit
community qualifications.

> And yet you kept baiting me with demonstrably false statements.

If you see it that way, then my saying nothing more about it really was
a good idea. I have the misfortune of witnessing someone REALLY bait
everyone including someone close to me on a regular basis, so I know how
imperative it is for such situations not to arise.