[conspire] yet another non related question

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 18 18:24:27 PST 2011

Quoting Luke S. Crawford (lsc at prgmr.com):

> I've used joker.com for the last 10 years or so;  for five of those
> they also ran my dns.  (I do my own dns now becuase I have automated
> processes that have to deal with dns.  For most home users, it's
> really a matter of taste.)

I actually had to double-check to see whom I have domains with.

Currently, I have some stuff at a Tucows OpenSRS reseller.  I won't
detail more about that, because the guy is no longer accepting new
business.

Another domain I have at DirectNIC -- a business relationship I
literally inherited with the domain after the owner, my friend and
co-worker Josh Neal, died.  No special comments for or against.  They
had a moderately difficult time comprehending the fact that their
customers aren't immortal, but we worked things out eventually.

In the past, like Don, I've been a Domain Discover (Tierra.net DBA)
customer and liked them quite a bit.  They've been rated highly for
good contract terms in the past, and also, if they screw up badly,
you can drive down to San Diego County and pound on their desks.

I vaguely recall having moved from Domain Discover to the OpenSRS
reseller back many years ago when Domain Discover was literally charging
a $20/year premium (or something like that) over Tucows OpenSRS, and I
just couldn't justify the extra outlay for Domain Discover's superior
customer handholding (for which I had no use).  Prices have come down
since then, of course.

> Like others, I've had some moderately scummy experiences with godaddy
> when I tried them with a secondary domain.

Ever since the debacle when they screwed over Fyodor of nmap fame
concerning SecLists.org, I've kept a 'GoDaddy' link on linuxmafia.com's
front page, taking people to http://nodaddy.com/ .  Scummy or scummier?
You decide.  ;->

[1] http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/803