[conspire] (forw) Re: UNIX beginner asks: what's a good forum for q's about command-line utilities?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 2 23:41:23 PDT 2010

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 23:40:23 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: Michael Gray <michaelcgray at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: UNIX beginner asks: what's a good forum for q's about
	command-line utilities?

Quoting Michael Gray (michaelcgray at gmail.com):

> Thank you for the prompt and thoughtful answer!

We aim to please.  ;->

> Your newsgroup recommendation is the best thing I've heard all week.

A number of the FAQ files for comp.unix.* newsgroups are really good,
and worth reading on their own.  For example, even in the FAQ for
comp.unix.admin, which is devoted to system administrators' issues as
opposed to Unix shell problems per se, item #11 is a good answer to the
utterly classic problem "How do I remove a file that starts with a '-'?"

http://www.unixguide.net/unix/comp-unix-admin.shtml

When last I checked, the comp.unix.questions was every bit as good as
comp.unix.shell, and there's a FAQ maintained in common for both of
them:  http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/faq/

Naturally, you should (also) always verify that a question isn't
adequately answered in the FAQ before posting it to the newsgroup.

More links, relevant to that:
http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-bng/comp.unix.shell.html
http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-bng/comp.unix.questions.html

There is also a comp.os.linux.* tree.  Briefly noted:
http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-bng/comp.os.linux.answers.html
http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-bng/comp.os.linux.misc.html

----- End forwarded message -----