[conspire] should I format Seagate FreeAgent Go 1T in ext3 or leave as is?

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Sun Mar 28 20:40:55 PDT 2010

Indeed I did that myself just today with a 2TB Seagate FreeAgent (I
made a RAID10 with a 2TB internal and a 2TB external, both Seagates
with long warranties).

In Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic), I did this:

# apt-get update && apt-get install sdparm
# sdparm -a /dev/sde  # to see what the settings are
# sdparm --clear STANDBY /dev/sde
# sdparm -a /dev/sde  # again to see if the setting changed

I think my partition was ext4 though.

Best Regards.