[conspire] should I format Seagate FreeAgent Go 1T in ext3 or leave as is?

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Sun Mar 28 20:50:18 PDT 2010

Tony,

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Tony Godshall <tony at of.net> wrote:
> Indeed I did that myself just today with a 2TB Seagate FreeAgent (I
> made a RAID10 with a 2TB internal and a 2TB external, both Seagates
> with long warranties).
>
> In Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic), I did this:
>
> # apt-get update && apt-get install sdparm
> # sdparm -a /dev/sde  # to see what the settings are
> # sdparm --clear STANDBY /dev/sde
> # sdparm -a /dev/sde  # again to see if the setting changed
>
> I think my partition was ext4 though.

Thank you.

Did you see the udev fix? Or does Ubuntu not use udev?
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DealWithAutoSpinDownOnSeagateFreeAgent
udev Method
Add a rule to the end of /etc/udev/rules.d/local.rules

Seagate FreeAgent allow_restart fix (i/o errors)

SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi",DRIVERS=="sd",ATTRS{vendor}=="Seagate*",ATTRS{model}=="FreeAgent*",RUN+="/bin/sh
-c 'echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_disk/%k/allow_restart'"

> Best Regards.
>

> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 22:39, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>> Quoting Darlene Wallach (freepalestin at dslextreme.com):
>>
>>> Thought I'd check. I'm thinking I should format the Seagate FreeAgent
>>> Go 1T in ext3. Does that make sense or should I leave it as is?
>>
>> I would.  Looks like the larger problem is the device's default setting
>> of doing spindown on its own initiative.  Here are solutions to that
>> problem:  http://alienghic.livejournal.com/382903.html
>>
>> --
>> Rick Moen            "Commas are probably the most misunderstood of all
>> rick at linuxmafia.com  punctuation.  They frequently dress in black, listen
>> McQ!  (4x80)         to sad music, and cut themselves."   -- FakeAPStylebook

equal justice under law