[conspire] vpnc gui, not Network Manager

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Dec 22 08:26:46 PST 2010

begin Ehud Kaldor quotation of Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:00:07AM -0800:

> VPNC = Cisco's VPN (which my workplace chose to work with),

The "vpnc" that you get when you do an "apt-cache
search vpnc" or "yum search vpnc" is not the official
Cisco VPN client, which is good.

Last I tried the Cisco one, it was not reliable for
me, but the vpnc package from Debian worked fine.

If you're not using NetworkManager, the trick to
avoid having to type the commands is to figure out
how the if-up.d and if-down.d directories are set up,
and put your vpnc commands in there.

Here are examples of some up and down scripts I did
for the "wwwoffle" web cache -- you can probably find
something similar for vpnc.

  http://zgp.org/~dmarti/tips/ifup-wwwoffle/

--
Don Marti