[conspire] Domain expirations, domain speculators

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Sep 27 16:46:04 PDT 2009

Two more:

Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:41:08 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: "R. Steven Rainwater" <srainwater at ncc.com>
Cc: raph.levien at gmail.com
Subject: Re: advogato.org domain registration

Guys --

I'm going to take a chance on being alarmist, and give my best, frank
assessment:  My best interpretation of the WHOIS record for advogato.org
is that the domain expired last Monday.  That started (per Dotster
policy) a 5-day grace period for guaranteed ability to renew at no more
than the regular rate, that expired yesterday (Saturday).

Because the 5-day grace period expired on a weekend, I suspect they'll
still honour it if telephoned first thing Monday.  (Raph as the customer
can of course use the Web interface for renewal, instead.)

If that does not happen, my understanding of Dotster policy is that
the domain will then _either_ be passed to a domain speculator as new
owner or will be deactivated and put in a 30-day "redemption period",
in which the erstwhile owner can still buy it back for the regular
renewal fee + a $99.95 surcharge.  (Again see FAQ items on
http://www.dotster.com/products/domains/renewals .)

If I am wrong, I sincerely apologise, but I'd feel remiss and didn't
speak out about what I perceive to be a need for action with absolutely
no delay at all.