[conspire] corrected to HP LaserJet4M Plus Re: HP LaserJet4 - CUPS lists printer twice

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Tue Sep 1 11:30:45 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Rick Moen<rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):
>
>> Or arping the ip addr
>
> Right.  Thanks.  That's even more direct than dumping the ARP cache.
>
>> At the sites I support we use static ip addrs for everything but we
>> populate /etc/dhcpd.conf too- that way if someone does a factory-reset
>> on an HP printer it doesnt stop working.
>
> I like this, a lot.  It's the "You _will_ use the IP address I've
> configured you to use, even if the most common sorts of mishaps occur"
> approach.  Cheap insurance.
>
>> And that way too you can configure the ip addr of an hp printer
>> without hassling with a private network or their windows bloatware.
>
> You don't actually need those:  ...

Yes but in line with the cheap insurance approach I'm putting it in
dhcpd.conf anyway

> ... Assigning the long-term static IP via the
> front-panel switches is a little tedious but not difficult, and then you
> just telnet in and configure other printer functions via a
> self-explanatory clear BBS-like text menu interface.  No need for a
> private network or HP JetAdmin for Win32 or any of the other OSes.

The newer (cheaper?) ones have no front panel and configure by http
instead of (in addition to?) telnet

But yes, I posit that we agree that the basic approach of assigning
static ip by one means or another and then going to the device's own
standards-based interface is best

>> And also that way you have a central point that documents mac-addr
>> ip-addr and a place to put host-specific comments.
>
> Excellent point.

Why thank you

>> And we run with "range dynamic-bootp" commented out.
>
> It's been so long since I needed BOOTP that I'd forgotten entirely about
> that.  But yeah, BOOTP's pretty much gone with the dodos and early Sun
> SPARC boxes, and should be disabled unless you actually need it.

Well yes but this is not just about bootp.  that's the line that lets
dhcpd give out dynamic addrs.  We run static-only shops but dhcpd is
still useful as outlined above and to detect machines attempting to
access our LAN, authorized or not.  (You don't get much from a macaddr
but sometimes you can get the manufacturer of the device at least.)

Best Regards.

Tony