[conspire] corrected to HP LaserJet4M Plus Re: HP LaserJet4 - CUPS lists printer twice

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 1 11:44:19 PDT 2009

Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):

> The newer (cheaper?) ones have no front panel and configure by http
> instead of (in addition to?) telnet

Heh, bummer.  (I haven't bought one in a long while.)  Well, you can
still, nonetheless, let them pick up a DHCP lease by default, then
telnet into that IP.  JetAdmin still isn't actually needed.

> Well yes but this is not just about bootp.  that's the line that lets
> dhcpd give out dynamic addrs.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.  As I said, I can't find my example version
of that file, and had forgotten.

> We run static-only shops but dhcpd is still useful as outlined above
> and to detect machines attempting to access our LAN, authorized or
> not.

There are a bunch of BOfH-ish tricks related to that.  For example,
after you've recorded in dhcpd.conf the MAC addresses of all your
authorised hosts, you can set up a small pool of "in the doghouse"
dynamic IPs.  Then, make sure any machine trying to communicate from
those IPs get their outbound traffic quarantined, e.g., Web browsers get
shown only a page telling the user to go visit IT.

Truly fascistic admins will also make their switches confine traffic
from unknown MAC addresses to the doghouse.  ;->