[conspire] corrected to HP LaserJet4M Plus Re: HP LaserJet4 - CUPS lists printer twice

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 1 10:36:06 PDT 2009

Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):

> Or arping the ip addr

Right.  Thanks.  That's even more direct than dumping the ARP cache.

> At the sites I support we use static ip addrs for everything but we
> populate /etc/dhcpd.conf too- that way if someone does a factory-reset
> on an HP printer it doesnt stop working.

I like this, a lot.  It's the "You _will_ use the IP address I've
configured you to use, even if the most common sorts of mishaps occur"
approach.  Cheap insurance.

> And that way too you can configure the ip addr of an hp printer
> without hassling with a private network or their windows bloatware.

You don't actually need those:  Assigning the long-term static IP via the
front-panel switches is a little tedious but not difficult, and then you
just telnet in and configure other printer functions via a
self-explanatory clear BBS-like text menu interface.  No need for a
private network or HP JetAdmin for Win32 or any of the other OSes.

> And also that way you have a central point that documents mac-addr
> ip-addr and a place to put host-specific comments.

Excellent point.

> And we run with "range dynamic-bootp" commented out.

It's been so long since I needed BOOTP that I'd forgotten entirely about
that.  But yeah, BOOTP's pretty much gone with the dodos and early Sun
SPARC boxes, and should be disabled unless you actually need it.

I used to have a commented /etc/dhcpd.conf example file from my "kitchen
network" we used for CABAL meetings at my older house, 2033 Sharon Road
-- but I suspect it got blown away.