[conspire] corrected to HP LaserJet4M Plus Re: HP LaserJet4 - CUPS lists printer twice

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Tue Sep 1 10:03:01 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Rick Moen<rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
>> Yeah - but then you have to make sure your DHCP server doesn't step on
>> that address and vice-versa.
>
> Which basically amounts to "possessing the ability to count".
> (It's not exactly brain surgery to give, say, high IPs 200-254 to
> DHCPd and then allocate static IPs from "2" upwards.)

Plus dhcpd pings before it assigns anyway.  Or at least I've seen that
in the logs and have no reason to thing dhcpd would lie to me

>> The hard thing is to sometimes find the mac address of hardware.
>
> Er, do that the easy way, Ruben:  Collect them from your ARP cache.
>
> [rick at linuxmafia]
> ~ $ /usr/sbin/arp
> Address                  HWtype  HWaddress           Flags Mask            Iface
> airport                  ether   00:03:93:e1:8c:59   C                     eth1
> 198.144.195.185          ether   00:03:6c:7b:24:70   C                     eth1
> [rick at linuxmafia]
> ~ $

Or arping the ip addr

Or if you are running dhcpd with "range dynamic-bootp" commented out,
just look for dhcp query failures in your system logs (for the
newbies: that would be: grep -i dhcp /var/log/messages)

At the sites I support we use static ip addrs for everything but we
populate /etc/dhcpd.conf too- that way if someone does a factory-reset
on an HP printer it doesnt stop working.  And that way too you can
configure the ip addr of an hp printer without hassling with a private
network or their windows bloatware.  And also that way you have a
central point that documents mac-addr ip-addr and a place to put
host-specific comments.

And we run with "range dynamic-bootp" commented out.

Tony