[conspire] (non-Linux, but CABAL-relevant:) A word from our kitchen

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 16 14:43:22 PDT 2009

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> Or grow some of your own veggies. You don't need a huge yard to get
> started. Tomatoes and zucchini can be grown in containers if you
> don't have any other place.

We do, you know:  The home-grown jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, potatos,
garlic, onions, carrots, beans, and so on are not yet ready to harvest,
but Saturday's stew and salad included quite a lot of ingredients from
our garden, including chives, rosemary, basil, oregano, lovage,
cilantro, fennel, a couple of different types of lettuce, and so on
(plus other stuff from the farmer's market).

Now that we also have a greenhouse, we should be less at the mercy of
the weather, in the future, and maybe (e.g.) able to have fresh tomatoes
in wintertime.

> Common Ground Organic Garden Supply and Education Center
> http://www.commongroundinpaloalto.org/

Thanks for the referral.

I'm looking to grow some purslane and maybe also "lamb's quarters".
Probably will have to order seeds, mail-order.  Deirdre recently used
purslane (from the Menlo Park farmer's market) in a Mexican beef recipe,
and the dish was sensational.

I'm very much not an expert gardener, but rather an ignorant city boy,
but willing to learn.  Meanwhile, we have plenty of sun, water from the
hose, and excellent soil that's getting better all the time thanks to
composting.  Next projects:  (1) a fountain/birdbath with solar-powered
water pump, which should arrive today, and (2) a proper drip irrigation
system, which will require Real Work.