[conspire] corrected to HP LaserJet4M Plus Re: HP LaserJet4 - CUPS lists printer twice

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sat Aug 29 22:41:19 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 10:33:40PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > FWIW, my house is already using 18 devices and counting, not including
> > installfests.
>
> OK, but I'm unclear on what your point is.   Obviously, if you know
> you're going to be starting with more than 10 dynamic-IP hosts, you
> will reflect that knowledge in the size of your DHCP server's dynamic
> range.
>
> My suggestion of starting with 10 for a home network was -- I thought
> obviously -- aimed at more-typical home LANs.

Well, my point, I guess, is that I have 6 bright and linux savoy kids in
the house from 13-21 and I like them to not make static IP addresses and
to recieve their IP addresses from DHCP even when they are trying to get
their damn printer to work, or their friends printer, or even the PSP
game box on the network, even after after disconnecting the printer from
its home and dragging it up stairs and pressing all the buttons etc. :)
I just find better human compliance when they
just plug stuff in and it works according to my DHCP files.

Ruben