[conspire] CD/DVD media [was Re: Installfest in Fremont]

Jean Philippe Granchi granchijp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 16:31:10 PDT 2009

Tony Godshall wrote:

>>> ...I'm mostly switching to DVD+Rs instead of CD-Rs ...
>>>
>> Also note that all CD-R are not equal to scratching too, the color tint of
>> the CD can give an idea
>> no color ? poor dye layer
>> Gold is usually used in conjunction of of a good quality dye, but not
>> always. (on the read side not on the label side ...)
>>

> Good to know
>
> Is color any indicator on DVD media?

Yes, I don't know if anybody could recommend any color on DVD,
DVD-R (dash not minus) standard are developed by the DVD Forum
and the DVD+R (plus) standard is  developed by the DVD Alliance

I had way more success with + than with - in the past but honestly ...
too much factors, it is very hard to find good and reliable media, I
think it is best to think at CD-R or DVD+-R as temporary media, carry
your ISO in some harddrives and then burn the CD/DVD on the spot.

http://dvd-r.jpn.org/ is a good source of information

Scratch test (old): http://dvd-r.jpn.org/scratch_proof/index.htm
UV resistance: http://dvd-r.jpn.org/beam/4/index.html

>> Markers (those we all use for our CDs) can damage the layer as the ink could
>> make it to the data layer.
>>

> Really?  I've occasionally used those permanent markers with the
> permanent marker solvent and it seems to have stayed on the surface.

Depends of the marker and of the plastic layer of the cover side, the
cheap CD have thiner layer.
I had such experience with a Cadomark marker, that went through it
>> just a question
>> of luck.
>>
> Or, if you generally buy the cheapest ones like I do, less a question of luck.

True, but unfortunately ,while, surely, cheap CD or DVD have a great
chance of being poorly produced, it is not always true for the pricey ones,
Note that the Japanese firm TDK have some "unscratchable/scratchproof"
product made with clear polymer (durabis),
(this technology made possible the blueray), they have patent on that
(http://tinyurl.com/pqdp82 http://tinyurl.com/onmpt8) so I guess, I
would recommend those product.