[conspire] Installing onto a new HP laptop

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat May 17 07:02:07 PDT 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008 01:18:12 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> Researching the Nvidia model 7150M, I see signs that you will want to
> stick to a really recent Linux distribution release, in order to have
> the latest X.org software (the part of any Linux distribution that does
> graphics hardware support).  Tell your helpers that, if the "nv" driver
> doesn't work, switching to the "vesa" driver will.

This info also strongly suggests that hardware support for the northbridge
in this computer will likely require some creative tinkering. It may be
useful to turn the Hardware section of the following page into a checklist:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01411436&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3686735&dlc=en
We could keep track of which line items work out-of-the-box, which ones
work with extra setup, and which ones will be relegated to being "reserved
for future use."

Here are some pages with GNU/Linux info on some of the hardware I've been
able to identify as being related to the dv2819nr:

http://www.thelinuxvault.net/wiki/AuthenTec_AES2501A
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/linux/ (warning: proprietary)
http://www.linuxant.com/store/faq.php (not positively identified)