[conspire] Installing onto a new HP laptop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat May 17 13:26:33 PDT 2008

> On Sat, 17 May 2008 01:18:12 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
>
> > Researching the Nvidia model 7150M, I see signs that you will want to
> > stick to a really recent Linux distribution release, in order to have
> > the latest X.org software (the part of any Linux distribution that does
> > graphics hardware support).  Tell your helpers that, if the "nv" driver
> > doesn't work, switching to the "vesa" driver will.
>
> This info also strongly suggests that hardware support for the northbridge
> in this computer will likely require some creative tinkering.

I'd be curious why you think the northbridge would be a problem (beyond
the video chip).  I can't even recall the last time I heard that a
motherboard northbridge was per se difficult to support in Linux.

> Here are some pages with GNU/Linux info on some of the hardware I've been
> able to identify as being related to the dv2819nr:
>
> http://www.thelinuxvault.net/wiki/AuthenTec_AES2501A
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
> http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/linux/ (warning: proprietary)
> http://www.linuxant.com/store/faq.php (not positively identified)
> http://cengique.2y.net/~cengiz/hp%20laptop%20dv2715nr/

Good work.[1]  I was tired and lacked the stamina and patience -- and was
somewhat annoyed at HP for making the task gratuitously difficult.
(Even Dell isn't that non-cooperative with chipset data.)

I was tired enough that I didn't even visit the Linux on Laptops site,
which I see that you did.

[1] Meaning no criticism, I don't mean that I've verified your work as
correct, since I haven't.  Would be curious where you tracked down the
fingerprint reader, for example.