[conspire] [bytesforall_readers] Can we rescue OLPC from Windows?: RMS

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu May 1 14:52:46 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> I would love to have 30 XOs running Sugar on GNU/Linux to show to the kids
> at the school.  And, for the upcoming year, the 7th and 8th grade science
> teacher is very eager to have computers in his classroom, but he has limited
> space, and the XO would be great for that.  Also, the XO would help him
> teach a bit about radio and light and sound and computing, as well as all
> the stuff that we know XOs running Free Software are great for.

It would be great.

> BTW, Richard Stallman was at this school, and we have an on-going commitment
> to teaching children about Richard Stallman's four freedoms.  The XO would a
> great way to show them the power of Free Software.  How could I get a grant
> of 30 XOs for this public middle school in San Francisco?  We are an urban
> public middle school in a very mixed race, low income neighborhood, exactly
> the demographics for which the XO was designed.

Grant money has to come from outside OLPC. The problem we have with
ideas such as yours and this school's is that the GiveMany program is
broken. We need to get the community together to convince Nicholas
Negroponte that we have a workable strategy for OLPC, and that his
personal version of our goals cannot override the universe around us.

See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Controversies for the issues between NN
and the community.

--
Edward Cherlin