[conspire] Ah, another test subject for this Saturday's CABAL

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 20 11:14:14 PDT 2008

In other news, the *buntu "Hardy Heron" development branch, which will
be 8.04 LTS if released on schedule in April, just entered pre-beta
freeze.  The one planned beta will be available soonish, but probably
not in time for this Saturday's meeting.

By contrast, Knoppix 5.3.1 _will_ probably be here.  (Every year, Klaus
Knopper issues a much-improved but restricted Knoppix at CeBIT in Germany;
this year's post-CeBIT release will be 5.3.1.)  It includes an
experimental KDE4 boot option, which will probably still be buggy.

For those who want Ubuntu/Medibuntu integrated with lots of proprietary
codecs and browser plugins, Java, DVD playback, and the like (plus easy
access of non-redistributable proprietary software such as the Opera
browser, Microsoft Web Fonts, RealPlayer 10, Adobe Acrobat Reader,
Google Earth, and Skype), Linux Mint has hit 4.0 "Daryna".  There are
GNOME (v. 2.20.0) and KDE (v. 3.5.8) releases of Linux Mint 4.0.

Mandriva 2008, Fedora 9, and OpenSUSE 11.0 have betas out.  And Gentoo
is showing signs of life again, with a Gentoo 2008-03-13 unofficial
installable live-CD, compensating for the project leaders' inability to
get a release out the door since early 2007.