[conspire] Preparing dual-boot system

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 20:19:26 PST 2008

On 1/22/08, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Well, I usually just mkisofs a tree rather than a buch of filenames, and
> then either rely on configured cdrecord defaults or use a shell script
> to provide the right flags, etc., depending on the system.

Personally, I've had results that were less than expected when trying
to get my head around mkisofs and all the various options, including
things like directories not getting put on the cd along with their
files. For instance, I once tried to master a cd that had about 15
directories worth of mp3 files, with the extra desire to try and
navigate it like an audio book on a combination  cd/mp3 player I had.
This was some years ago and I think I was running Mandriva at the
time, but I managed to have all the files smashed - lots of name
conflicts (a name in one subdirectory matched a name in another
subdirectory  that was part of the tree), and a seeming bizarre need
to enumerate all the directories with some arcane "prune and graft"
stuff on the command line. (Had I tried k3b or another suitable front
end, it might have been simpler - and it even autocreates the iso
image for you).

The times I've used growisofs for dvd data stuff, it seems to be
better at putting arbitrary stuff in directories scattered about the
fs, and you can do multisession a bit more easily (-J to create the
initial image, and -M to add stuff, if I recall correctly. It of
course uses mkisofs as a sub-process.

Re shell scripts - useful idea. Aliases as well - a friend of mine and
longtime Mandrake user (athough he uses Fedora 'testing' now) is still
using a few well-chosen aliases that call cdecord to do the dirty work
- things like 'bacd' for "burn a cd'. And (to my knowledge) only uses
cdrecord (with the correct options of course) to do the actual dirty
work.

> For a real laugh, download the source code to Solaris's SCCS utility,
> likewise maintained by Schilling.  It _too_ includes the trademark

hmmm. :)