[conspire] Preparing dual-boot system

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 22 21:53:44 PST 2008

Quoting David Fox (dfox94085 at gmail.com):

> Personally, I've had results that were less than expected when trying
> to get my head around mkisofs and all the various options, including
> things like directories not getting put on the cd along with their
> files. For instance, I once tried to master a cd that had about 15
> directories worth of mp3 files, with the extra desire to try and
> navigate it like an audio book on a combination  cd/mp3 player I had.
> This was some years ago and I think I was running Mandriva at the
> time, but I managed to have all the files smashed - lots of name
> conflicts (a name in one subdirectory matched a name in another
> subdirectory  that was part of the tree), and a seeming bizarre need
> to enumerate all the directories with some arcane "prune and graft"
> stuff on the command line.

Nah.  The best set of options is a bit crazy-long, but doesn't
necessitate the -graft-points stuff.  Put the files you want to burn
into, say, /tmp/image/ , then do:

$  mkisofs -J -T -r -v -o /tmp/image.iso /tmp/image

You can either just get used to that rigamarole, or alias/script it.

I personally prefer that over any graphical front-end for the usual
motley mix of reasons, e.g., the fact that it always and everywhere just
works, on any minimally equipped *ix box, and I don't have to insist on
a particular set of "desktop" craptrap.