[conspire] Preparing dual-boot system

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:29:00 PST 2008

On 1/21/08, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Should be "wodim", a different entry in the Debian Project "Bizarre
> Program Names That Rick Can't Remember" sweepstakes.  The "wodim"

At least it can be said that it stands for something. It gave me some
headscratching when wodim replaced  cdrecord some time ago.

Personally I burn a copious amount of cd's and DVD's here, of various
types (both data and video/audio) and haven't had issues with cdrecord
(and/or wodim) once the trend went to use ide exclusively (i.e.,
/dev/hdd, not some strange scsi emulation device or -scanbus stuff,
although that stuff worked well most of the time back in the mists of
time when I was using Mandrake/Mandriva for this sort of thing.)

For front ends, I usually use k3b, but not always.

Usually I use 'growisofs" for making DVDs. No real reason why, other
than that dvd support in cdrecord under Debian (at the time I had
first used it) seemed lacking altogher, and my fingers have been
trained to use various permutations of 'growisofs -dvd-compat
-dvd-video -Z /dev/hdd /tmp/something_that_resembles_a_dvd_image'.
k3b, when using it to write dvd's, uses growisofs (at least on Debian)
but with extra options that don't seem to be documented (specifically,
things like --use-the-force-luke (what are we doing, writing Star Wars
videos? :).

It wasn't always the case, but k3b has worked flawlessly for me
burning stuff. Its drag & drop features and on-the-fly translation of
things like mp3 files to cdda-compliant WAV are nice to use. Much
better, IMHO, than gcombust (a gtk/gnome app).

Of course, nothing is preventing you from using cdrecord (or wodim)
directly, although typing or shell-tabbing a bunch of filenames to
burn gets tiresome after a time -- and I've done it that way numerous
times as well.

There's plenty of back-and-forth going on between Joerg & various
debian users over in debian-user's mailing list.  In case you're
interested :).

In particular wrt cdrecord: there has always been a disclaimer, in the
distribution's binaries, about how not to contact the author with
bugs, but to contact the distro people instead, claiming that there
can be breakage, and to use Slowlaris if you really have problems.
Thankfully, I haven't. :)