[conspire] [NYLXS - HANGOUT] Google and Georgia

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Aug 14 23:25:42 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 03:14:40PM -0400, Matthew wrote:
> Ruben,
>   Yes, I saw that before and was not terribly happy about it. See below for more info.
> More importantly, I want to know has anybody seen a reason for this?
>
> The only article that I saw was from the FT. Confirmed by Economist.
> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7863e71a-689e-11dd-a4e5-0000779fd18c.html
> Pro-Russian View
> Let me be absolutely clear. This is not a conflict of Russia’s making; this is not a conflict of Russia’s choosing. There are no winners from this conflict. Hours before the Georgian invasion, Russia had been working to secure a United Nations Security Council statement calling for a renunciation of force by both Georgia and South Ossetians. The statement that could have averted bloodshed was blocked by western countries.

This opinion was written by the Russian foriegn minister and I have deep
suspicions about its facts.  Honestly, I don't know all the details of
the Georgian conflict.  But I don't believe this without proof.  If any,
from what I've read, there has been a great deal of ethnic cleansing by
the Russians in that northwestern finger of Georgia, which happens to be
stragegically located such that it is over half of Gorgeria's shoreline
on the Black Sea.

BTW - Matt, join Moen's Conspire mailing list if you want to post to it.
Its often a facinating read anyway.  One of the gems of the net.

Ruben

> http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11920701
> Pro-Georgia Version
> ON THE night of August 7th, Mikheil Saakashvili, Georgia’s
> president, embarked on an ill-judged assault on South Ossetia, one of his
> country’s two breakaway enclaves. Russian tanks, troops and aircraft poured across the border. Just five days later, after pulverising the Georgian armed forces, Russia announced that it was ending its operations.
>

> The intresting thing about it was that  in today's NY metro there was
> an article on page 10.
> Head: Google to update georgia maps
> Source: Bloomberg
>
> The source article is at:
> http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=abOY8cl7RXV0
>
> excerpt:
> - Google Inc., the most popular Internet search engine, is upgrading its maps of war-torn Georgia after users trying to track the nation's conflict with Russia were left with blank screens.
>
> Google said it delayed adding details to the maps because information for the region is unsatisfactory. The company said on its blog yesterday that material hasn't been removed and that it will add details for blank countries because users prefer some data to nothing at all.
>

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 01:09:44AM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> > Anyone notice that Google Map has been very sketchy in Georgia, Europe
> > this past week?
> >
> > Ruben

© Copyright for the Digital Millennium